Possible candidates for a job position at the LISA beamline at ESRF
LISA (Linea Italiana per la Spettroscopia d'Assorbimento x) is the beamline of the CNR-IOM institute operating at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in Grenoble (France). On this beamline, mainly X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) experiments on heavy elements are conducted. Experiments by external users, in-house research and development of techniques for data collection and analysis are carried out at the beamline. The methods currently under development are time-resolved XAS methods and development of a powder diffraction station for XAS-XRD multi-technique experiments.
The selected person will be permanently based at the CNR-IOM institute in Grenoble (OGG) and will work under the direction of Dr Francesco d'Acapito (CNR-IOM), coordinator of the LISA project. She/he will have to contribute, interacting closely with the rest of the staff, to the operation of the beamline by preparing and following the planned experiments, developing the data collection instrumentation and curating its own line of research. The experience at LISA will allow the candidate to learn the basics of the XAS technique (experiment conception, data collection, data analysis and ab initio simulations) and of synchrotron light instrumentation such as X-ray detectors (energy-dispersive, two-dimensional), mirrors and monochromators. All this will be carried out in an environment with a strong international character such as the ESRF, offering numerous opportunities for collaboration and professional development.
- Degree required:
- PhD in physics, chemistry, materials science and engineering, earth and environmental sciences, structural biology, or any other specialty that is inherent to the proposed activity
- Preferred qualifications:
- previous experience on experimental techniques of structural determination (in particular XAS or diffraction)
- previous experience on ultra-high-vacuum and cryogenics techniques
- previous experience on software management of scientific instrumentation
- fluent knowledge of English and basics of French
Duration: 12 months renewable
Location: LISA beamline - ESRF (France)
Expressions of interest, or any requests for further details, must be sent by e-mail to Dr. Francesco d'Acapito: email@example.com